To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
CC: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Werner Staub <werner@axone.ch>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:34:58 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Re: a new core command...?

Hi Andrew,

I can only echo Stephane and Eugenio in this respect. Actually,
the problem is much bigger than it appears. And it is compounded in
case of longer value-added chains.

EPP is strong in terms of executing provisioning requests, but weak
in terms of managing the result. In the early days, it was justifiable
to neglect the management bit, but now, after 6 years, we really should
do something about it.

Regards,

Werner

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 12:16:10PM -0400,
>  Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info> wrote
>  a message of 34 lines which said:
>
>> I think everyone has assumed, historically, that the sponsor of a
>> repository object in EPP would also keep their own data about their
>> sponsored objects.  They ought to know about those object already,
>> no?  In any case, since all the commands are per-object in EPP, I'm
>> having a hard time understanding the motivation for a bulk query.
>> I'm likely just dim, though (other people have also observed that
>> about me!), so if you have a use case in mind, I'd be interested to
>> hear it.
>
> I can mention a real use-case that we had recently: a registrar of
> ".fr" simply wanted to check that the two databases agreed, so they
> sent whois requests for every domain they manage. And asked us if
> something was missing from their list.
>
> They told us that it was part of a new quality policy, SOX, corporate
> governance and so on.

Home | Date list | Subject list