To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:16:10 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] a new core command...?

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 04:54:50PM +0100, Eugenio Pinto wrote:
> A. Sullivan,
>
> When you say "(...)You have to be able to provide a query interface
> anyway to non-registrar users(...)" are you talking about WHOIS?

Sure.  But whois has a couple problems, not least of which is that,
by specification, it's ASCII only.  Moreover, there's no
specification of the data structure.  In the broadest strokes,
ameliorating that situation is (part of) what I understand IRIS to be
doing.

> So, if a Registrar wants to do a transform operation to a sort of
> domains, he needs first to query the Registry using IRIS and then, using
> the information given, apply the command to all domains (one by one)
> using EPP. That's it?

I think everyone has assumed, historically, that the sponsor of a
repository object in EPP would also keep their own data about their
sponsored objects.  They ought to know about those object already,
no?  In any case, since all the commands are per-object in EPP, I'm
having a hard time understanding the motivation for a bulk query.
I'm likely just dim, though (other people have also observed that
about me!), so if you have a use case in mind, I'd be interested to
hear it.

----
<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110