To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Eugenio Pinto <eugenio.pinto@fccn.pt>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:12:54 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] <info> and <roid>

Andrew Sullivan escreveu:
>  In any case, since all the commands are per-object in EPP, I'm
> having a hard time understanding the motivation for a bulk query. So if you have a use case in mind, I'd be interested to
> hear it.

Andrew,

I could tell you some different use cases where there are needed bulk
queries. But, unfortunately for my arguments, they are applied only in
the transition from non-EPP environment to EPP...

So, I think you're wright. We don't need bulk queries unless our
Registrars don't have a coherent information system. But, that's their
problem.

---------------

Another thing that confuses me is why there isn't a <domain:roid>
element at the <domain:info> command?

A <domain:roid> element contains the Repository Unique Object IDentifier
assigned to the domain object when the object was created. It makes all
sense that we can retrieve the information we need from the <roid>.

I've noticed that DNS.PT is not the only Registry that has different
domain objects with the same name. Even if in EPP everyone has assumed
only ACTIVE domains were to be provisioned and that the name is a unique
identifier on the set of ACTIVE domains, it's a very limiting approach
using it as the identifier for the object. Just imagine two different
objects with the same name on pendingCreate status. We almost don't know
how to query such a domain yet.

I know that .br defined an extension for just the same problem. We were
almost to do it too. But that's the kind of thing that must be changed
in the core specification. Am I wrong?

Best Regards,

Eugenio

Home | Date list | Subject list