To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Cc: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, briansp@walid.com (Brian W. Spolarich), george@register.com (George Belotsky), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Martin Oldfield <m@mail.tc>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:24:25 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

>>>>> "paf" == paf  <Patrik> writes:

--> snip <--

    paf> Let's say that this record is stored in whois server at the
    paf> RIR "A" when you get your first IP-addresses. Now, you go to
    paf> registrar "B" of TLD-registry "C" and register a domain,
    paf> should you not be able to have your handle at "A" as pointer
    paf> to the technical contact for your domain? I rather see that
    paf> than having one person object for you at A, and one at C (or
    paf> even, one at A, one at B and one at D which might be a
    paf> different registry -- paralell with B -- of C).

Are there concerns here about the integrity of the information stored
in a foreign registry ?

For example, suppose registry C charges the registrant, and the
registrant has told registry C that his contact details are record
foobar69 in registry A. Should registry B be obliged to trust registry
A's data ?

I suppose this isn't really a technical issue at all: different
registries might very well adopt different policies towards trusting
foreign data, and the choice of policy is most likely to be based on
legal or commercial argument.

Is it right to say that on a technical level we can merely facilitate
things by giving every object in every registry a globally unique
handle ?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oldfield,