To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:47:33 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

I think so -- there's certainly no method in place at this time for
inter-registry data sharing, but that doesn't mean that there might not be
one in the future.

This does get back to the question of just what the handle should look like
and how it should be used in the protocol.  Given the alternatives I think
Patrik's proposal is simple, effective, and usable.

Here's an idea for how handles can be used in the protocol:

Handles should be returned when an object is created, and they should be
added to the list of attributes associated with an object.  Handles should
be formed with both a registry-unique local part and a globally-unique
registry identifier.  Local part format should be determined by registry
policy since these local parts must be registry-unique.  Registry
identifiers will be assigned and maintained by IANA.  Handles must not be
reused within a registry.

Sound reasonable?

<Scott/>