To: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
CC: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>, George Belotsky <george@register.com>, Hollenbeck Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:48:03 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

Rick H Wesson wrote:

> all:
>
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>
> > At 11.00 -0800 01-03-08, Bill Manning wrote:
> > >     How will "handles" support non-ASCII character representations?
> >
> > Rathole!
> >
> > >     Endgame... I think I should be able to select the "seed" be which
> > >     my Internet-wide, unique handle is created. My seed is used to
> > >     generate a unique handle that has at least two other, non-Internet
> > >     related "salts".  So my handle might be:
> > >
> > >             WM-9387-19790922:09:27:33
> >
> > Ok, that solves the uniqueness.
> >

> let me say one thing, the handle WM-9387-19790922:09:27:33  SUCKS!
> The uniqueness SHOULD NOT be obtained by appending a date/timestamp.
> Furthermore the handle MAY contain a Registry Identifer and the handle
> SHOULD contain information that describes what kind of object it points
> to.
>
> For instance WM9387-CT:RIPE
>   WM - bills initials
>   9387 incrementor
>   CT differientiates this hadle as a contact object
>   RIPE The optional suffex (pick your seporator [%#@:]) of the Registry of
>        Record for the Object.
>
> -rick

Not quite serios (but a bit): Lets take URNs!

e.g.
     urn:provreg-guid:ripe:ct:wm:4711

defining only the marked part of urn in the specs. And since there are drafts
on the way for the resolution of URNs (some from NSI also), this might open
some new opportunities.

regards
Klaus Malorny

Home | Date list | Subject list