To: wessorh@ar.com (Rick H Wesson)
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning), paf@cisco.com (Patrik Fältström), briansp@walid.com (Brian W. Spolarich), george@register.com (George Belotsky), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:45:17 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

% > 	How are Registry Identifiers different from the handles
% > 	we have been tossing about?  I expect that handle concatination
% > 	between objects may be useful to narrow scope in -limited-
% > 	circumstances, the general rule should be to only expose the
% > 	handle.  None of <MY> handles is going to have, as part of
% > 	<MY> handle, a conncationation that describes some association.
% > 	Their handles might... :)
%
% Bill,
%
% the utility come from the ability to locate the object through a yet to be
% detemined protocol.
%
% -rick

	I didn't say they were not useful. I am saying that my handle is
	useful in and of itself w/o being tied to another handle that
	describes a registry. (Noting that at the time I receive a
	delegation, I become my own registry... :)

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list