To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
cc: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>, George Belotsky <george@register.com>, Hollenbeck Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:42:41 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

all:

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> At 11.00 -0800 01-03-08, Bill Manning wrote:
> >	How will "handles" support non-ASCII character representations?
>
> Rathole!
>
> >	Endgame... I think I should be able to select the "seed" be which
> >	my Internet-wide, unique handle is created. My seed is used to
> >	generate a unique handle that has at least two other, non-Internet
> >	related "salts".  So my handle might be:
> >
> >		WM-9387-19790922:09:27:33
>
> Ok, that solves the uniqueness.

let me say one thing, the handle WM-9387-19790922:09:27:33  SUCKS!
The uniqueness SHOULD NOT be obtained by appending a date/timestamp.
Furthermore the handle MAY contain a Registry Identifer and the handle
SHOULD contain information that describes what kind of object it points
to.

For instance WM9387-CT:RIPE
  WM - bills initials
  9387 incrementor
  CT differientiates this hadle as a contact object
  RIPE The optional suffex (pick your seporator [%#@:]) of the Registry of
       Record for the Object.

-rick

Home | Date list | Subject list