To: wessorh@ar.com (Rick H Wesson)
Cc: paf@cisco.com (Patrik Fältström), bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning), briansp@walid.com (Brian W. Spolarich), george@register.com (George Belotsky), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:07:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

% let me say one thing, the handle WM-9387-19790922:09:27:33  SUCKS!

	Tell me how you really feel... :)
	It was an example.

% The uniqueness SHOULD NOT be obtained by appending a date/timestamp.

	Perhaps. Thats one way to increment.  I think there should be
	two distinct salts for each seed. You have selected an abstract
	thing called Object Identifier e.g. CT... again YMMV.

% Furthermore the handle MAY contain a Registry Identifer and the handle
% SHOULD contain information that describes what kind of object it points
% to.
%
% For instance WM9387-CT:RIPE
%   WM - bills initials
%   9387 incrementor
%   CT differientiates this hadle as a contact object
%   RIPE The optional suffex (pick your seporator [%#@:]) of the Registry of
%        Record for the Object.
%
% -rick

	How are Registry Identifiers different from the handles
	we have been tossing about?  I expect that handle concatination
	between objects may be useful to narrow scope in -limited-
	circumstances, the general rule should be to only expose the
	handle.  None of <MY> handles is going to have, as part of
	<MY> handle, a conncationation that describes some association.
	Their handles might... :)

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list