To: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, briansp@walid.com (Brian W. Spolarich)
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning), george@register.com (George Belotsky), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:32:05 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

At 11.00 -0800 01-03-08, Bill Manning wrote:
>	How will "handles" support non-ASCII character representations?

Rathole!

>	Endgame... I think I should be able to select the "seed" be which
>	my Internet-wide, unique handle is created. My seed is used to
>	generate a unique handle that has at least two other, non-Internet
>	related "salts".  So my handle might be:
>
>		WM-9387-19790922:09:27:33

Ok, that solves the uniqueness.

A related question:

Let's say that this record is stored in whois server at the RIR "A"
when you get your first IP-addresses. Now, you go to registrar "B" of
TLD-registry "C" and register a domain, should you not be able to
have your handle at "A" as pointer to the technical contact for your
domain? I rather see that than having one person object for you at A,
and one at C (or even, one at A, one at B and one at D which might be
a different registry -- paralell with B -- of C).

    paf

Home | Date list | Subject list