To: George Belotsky <george@register.com>, Paul George <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:25:11 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

At 12.37 -0500 01-01-24, George Belotsky wrote:
>It would not take too much effort to simply use the Whois-like
>features (perhaps with a little extension) of the RRP to provide Whois
>services to end users.

I think this is a VERY interesting path that you should consider
seriously! Including anonymous access, and ability for registrants
(yes, registrants) to because of data protection laws update whatever
is necessary in the registry database in the case of a thick
registry.  Also, this connection might be needed also for DNSSEC key
signing issues...

I.e. if you do a protocol, and need overlapping functions, see if you
should not do _one_...

What goes on port 43 is a completely different story, and it should
stay that way.

   paf -- with my AD hat on as you can see in the signature

--
Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>       Internet Engineering Task Force
Area Director, Applications Area                   http://www.ietf.org

Home | Date list | Subject list