To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, <ietf-whois@imc.org>
From: "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:39:16 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Merging RRP and Whois

Fair enough, thanks for the info Randy.  But I think my question is still
valid.  Does "whois" have a valid place in a generic regsitry/registrar
protocol?  Will ALL registration systems need "whois" functionality?  Okay,
if they don't need it, then they don't have to implement that part, but that
could be said for a million other little bits of functionality.....  Even
though I think of any right now, I'm sure someone else can. :-)

The fundemental question is :

Is 'whois' an integral part of a protocol that is intended to provide a
means for the registration of objects?

IMHO, I think it is not.  And I hope we can move forward on this soon.

Paul