To: Paul George <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:37:22 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

Paul:

The RRP already includes Whois-style functionality.  One must be able
to view information on objects (domain names for now).  It is also
clear that the Whois will need a more advanced protocol than what
exists today.

In the future, a more comprehensive solution will be required.  With a
little thought now, the RRP, with its extensibility and authentication
features, can grow to be that comprehensive solutions.  End users and
other entities will then use the protcol also, not just registries and
registrars.  Alternatively, the RRP could become isolated as the
comprehensive solution develops, thus placing it firmly on the path to
deprecation.

It would not take too much effort to simply use the Whois-like
features (perhaps with a little extension) of the RRP to provide Whois
services to end users.

--
George Belotsky

Home | Date list | Subject list