To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
cc: George Belotsky <george@register.com>, Paul George <pgeorge@saraf.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:20:01 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

Patrik,

Wearing your AD hat you suggest three cases for utility of a unique mechanism
(rrp + whois sugar):

	anonymous access

	registrant access

	key management

Anonymous read access isn't on my todo list. Non-critical features should be
footnoted for the benefit of subsequent requirements gathering parties.

Registrant write-access is trivially accomodated via registry access, so
it isn't necessary. Why is a common mechanism useful?

Registrant key management (as an instance of many things outside the scope
of dns registrations) can be handled out-of-band, and need not require
registrar participation.

Wearing my participant hat I've yet to see a case for an RRP-like mechanism
having whois-like semantics. Please have a look at the cpexchange work, we
did try to make some progress on all three of these use cases, keeping the
several privacy/data protection frameworks in mind, though from a marketer
and/or large-sized vertically integrated vendor perspective -- we stll have
the same regulatory shoals to work through.

Cheers,
Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list