To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, Paul George <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:59:35 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

It would not be necessary to run the new protocol on port 43.  The new
protocol, however, should become the standard for future Whois-type
queries.

Backwards compatibility with the current Whois should definitely be
maintained.  Fortunately, with the current Whois standard this is not
a problem.

The existing protocol on port 43 can remain as long as needed.  All
future extensions, however, should be to the new protocol.  In this
way, we would avoid forcing the development of incompatible and
diverging methods for accessing the same data.  We would also avoid
having to solve twice a large set set of very difficult problems, such
as authentication, security, privacy and internationalization.

--
George Belotsky

Home | Date list | Subject list