To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:43:17 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

The dhc WG discussed this issue briefly during the WG last call on
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-*.txt (see the thread starting at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/dhcwg/current/msg02005.html).
If polling by clients using DHCPv6-lite is a desirable feature, it could
be added to draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt.

We could probably argue a little about whether the Reconfigure message is
part of DHCPv6-lite.  On the one hand, using Reconfigure would require that
the DHCPv6 server retain some dynamic state about clients: a list of active
clients to which the Reconfigure message must be sent.  Perhaps that
requirement could be addressed through the use of a multicast Reconfigure
message.

If security is desired for the Reconfigure message, the server would also
have to retain the "Reconfigure Key" for each active client (see section
21.5 of RFC 3315).  Note that section 21.5 only prevents an attack through
spoofed Reconfigure messages, not an initial attack by a spoofing DHCPv6
server.  I don't think security has been a requirement for DNS configuration
up to this point.

- Ralph