To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:01:34 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

Eric,

As Rob pointed out, stateless DHCPv6 is described in
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt, which is in IETF last call.  There
has been one comment on the draft during the IETF last call,
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/dhcwg/current/msg02630.html.

The DNS configuration options are described in
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-04.txt, which has been approved as PS.

Several implementations of RFC3315, draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt
and draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-04.txt exist and have been tested
for interoperability earlier this year at TAHI, Connectathon and a DHCPv6
interoperability event hosted by NEC in Vienna.  Note that
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt describes a subset of RFC 3315, so a
server implementation of RFC 3315 would be interoperable with stateless
DHCPv6 client.  I contributed to the Cisco implementation of both a
stateless DHCPv6 client and server and use that experience as the basis for
my comments on the complexity of the implementation of stateless DHCPv6.

We discussed the issue of receiving multiple responses to the DNS
configuration information option in an ipv6 WG meeting.  Turns out, in
theory, the order of appearance of DNS recursive name servers in the list
doesn't matter because every server should return the same response to a
given query.  More generally, receiving multiple different responses from
DHCP servers (either IPv4 or IPv6) represents a misconfiguration and is an
operational problem - which could occur with other DNS configuration
mechanisms as well.

- Ralph