To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:52:31 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

Ralph;

> The dhc WG discussed this issue briefly during the WG last call on
> draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-*.txt (see the thread starting at
> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/dhcwg/current/msg02005.html).
>
> If polling by clients using DHCPv6-lite is a desirable feature, it could
> be added to draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt.

Don't do that.

> We could probably argue a little about whether the Reconfigure message is
> part of DHCPv6-lite.  On the one hand, using Reconfigure would require that
> the DHCPv6 server retain some dynamic state about clients: a list of active
> clients to which the Reconfigure message must be sent.  Perhaps that
> requirement could be addressed through the use of a multicast Reconfigure
> message.

You are caught in the pitfall of "stateless autoconfiguration" only
to damege the protocol.

> If security is desired for the Reconfigure message, the server would also
> have to retain the "Reconfigure Key" for each active client (see section
> 21.5 of RFC 3315).  Note that section 21.5 only prevents an attack through
> spoofed Reconfigure messages, not an initial attack by a spoofing DHCPv6
> server.  I don't think security has been a requirement for DNS
> configuration
> up to this point.

There was someone requesting autoconfiguration of not only a DNS but
also an NTP server to be used to confirm timestamps of secure DNS,
even though the autoconfigured NTP server is no secure. :-|

							Masataka Ohta