To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:51:34 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

Your friendly neighborhood WG chairs have been watching the ongoing
discussion and trying to see whether we determine the will of the
working group in this matter.  Here's what we think we've seen in the
time since this topic first landed on the WG's plate:

- The WG thinks that picking a DNS discovery solution and moving on is
  probably more important than the specifics of the solution, so long
  as there are no show-stopper problems with the solution picked.

- DHCPv6-Lite appears to have more support than the other alternatives.

- DHCPv6-Lite does not appear to have any show-stopper problems.

- Therefore, while some clearly would prefer other solutions, the WG
  thinks it's time to declare DHCPv6-lite to be good enough for the
  decision we need to make now, pick it, and move on.

- We may revisit this decision a few years down the road if new data
  from deployment experience suggests that we made the wrong choice.

The question to the WG here is not "Do you agree that DHCPv6-Lite is
the best choice?" (we know that some would disagree with that), but
rather "Do you agree that this is the sense of the WG?"

We're posting this now so that folks have time to think about this
before next week's face-to-face meeting.

--Rob and Dave