To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:13:07 -0600
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

Ralph Droms wrote:

> We discussed the issue of receiving multiple responses to the DNS
> configuration information option in an ipv6 WG meeting.  Turns out, in
> theory, the order of appearance of DNS recursive name servers in the
> list doesn't matter because every server should return the same
> response to a given query.  More generally, receiving multiple
> different responses from DHCP servers (either IPv4 or IPv6) represents
> a misconfiguration and is an operational problem - which could occur
> with other DNS configuration mechanisms as well.

Doesn't that dis-prove the claim that "A minimal DHCPv6-lite server
co-located with a recursive name server [c]ould just respond with its own
address"? (see <20030803000619.94C1E18E3@thrintun.hactrn.net> and its
thread-context neighbors)

So going this way means additional DNS-specific maintenance would be
mandatory after all.