To: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 07:06:03 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Sense of the WG on DNS discovery

Eric - good point.  I was thinking of the usual deployment of DHCP servers
and meant "misconfiguration" to apply to DHCP servers intended to give
consistent replies.  Receiving different answers from different servers
doesn't violate any part of the DHCP spec itself.

Although the usual practice (in DHCPv4) is to accept the configuration
parameters from one server and ignore the others, I'll review the
words in RFC 3315 and the DNS config option doc to confirm that combining
information from multiple responses is within the spec.  We have an
opportunity to clarify the DNS config option spec if necessary, as it is
currently still in the RFC Editor's publication queue.

- Ralph