To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: masataka ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:28:23 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

Ralph;

> We have other significant problems to solve to complete the IPv6
> name-and-address management story - most importantly at this point, how do
> we arrange for population of PTR records by roaming hosts using stateless
> address autoconfiguration?  We should be spending our cycles on those
> problems...

Wrong problem.

The problem to be solved (if not yet solved) is

	how do we arrange for population of PTR records by roaming
	hosts using address autoconfiguration

and DHCP, rather than DHCP-lite, is, it seems to me, the only
way to go.

> I strongly believe, based on
> implementation experience, that the implementation complexity of DHCPv6
> for host configuration is *not* prohibitive.

Compared to the implementation complexity of ND, yes.

The easiest, simplest and fastest way to go is to remove ND,
a full set of useless features, entirely.

						Masataka Ohta