To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: JINMEI Tatuya / $B?@L@C#:H(B <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 03:41:47 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

>> Please see draft-ietf-dhc-.txt, which is
>> in IETF last call.  It gives the subset of DHCPv6 that must be implemented
>> for host configuration without address assignment.

>> "another process on the server side" is an implementation detail.  Because
>> the DHCPv6 function for host configuration maintains no dynamic per-client
>> state, the code can, in fact, be implemented as code that is executed in
>> the same way as router solicitation code.  I strongly believe, based on
>> implementation experience, that the implementation complexity of DHCPv6
>> for host configuration is *not* prohibitive.

(I forgot to mention one important thing in my previous response)

I also strongly believe, *based on my implementation experience*, that
the implementation complexity of DHCPv6 for host configuration is
*not* prohibitive.  Of course, this is just a subjective impression,
but I believe the implementation complexity should be measured by
implementors, not (mainly) by protocol designers who do not implement
it.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.