To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:19:28 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

Luc, Pekka,

Please see draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt, which is
in IETF last call.  It gives the subset of DHCPv6 that must be implemented
for host configuration without address assignment.

"another process on the server side" is an implementation detail.  Because
the DHCPv6 function for host configuration maintains no dynamic per-client
state, the code can, in fact, be implemented as code that is executed in
the same way as router solicitation code.  I strongly believe, based on
implementation experience, that the implementation complexity of DHCPv6
for host configuration is *not* prohibitive.

Another way to phrase the quesion about consensus is "do we have consensus
about a specific function or functions that DHCPv6 does not meet for host
configuration such as DNS?"  I think this problem is solved RFC 3315 and
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-01.txt.  There are multiple independent
implementations that have demonstrated interoperability at TAHI,
Connectathon and the DHCPv6 interop tests run by NEC in Vienna.

We have other significant problems to solve to complete the IPv6
name-and-address management story - most importantly at this point, how do
we arrange for population of PTR records by roaming hosts using stateless
address autoconfiguration?  We should be spending our cycles on those
problems...

- Ralph