To: masataka ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:50:35 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: How IPv6 host gets DNS address

Ohta-san,

Your use of English was almost too subtle for me.  I had to read your
problem statement a couple of times before I realized you were turning
around my basic assumption.  So, rather than assuming stateless address
autoconfiguration and trying to solve the PTR record population problem, we
should solve the PTR problem by picking the right address configuration
process.

I believe there are some sites who have come to the conclusion that DHCPv6
address assignment is the right deployment model, exactly because it avoids
the PTR record problem as well as giving network administrators reliable
information about mappings between devices and IPv6 addresses.

- Ralph