To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:58:42 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 10:49:28AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Right and another example (may be more realistic) is company names in
> Russia where high-tech organisations sometimes have a name where a
> Latin-script acronym ("xml" for instance) is mixed with a
> Cyrillic-script name.

Yes, that is in fact a bigger concern.  The artificial example I gave
is actually ruled out by the ICANN guidelines at the moment, I think:

   3. (a) In implementing the IDN standards, top-level domain
      registries will associate each label in a registered
      internationalized domain name, as it appears in their registry
      with a single script This restriction is intended to limit the
      set of permitted characters within a label.

The problem arises exactly as you say, when you have a name for
something (which is presumably a desired label) which cannot be
expressed in a single script.  My guess is that this state of affairs
is what the exception is there to deal with:

      Alternatively, a label may be associated with a set of
      languages, or with more than one designator under the conditions
      described below.

This is sort of a policy issue, though, and since I guess we're not in
the business of telling registries what policies they should adopt,
that's probably out of scope.

> May be using RFC 4646 for the tag would be the easier way to support both?

That seems like the best idea to me, yes.

<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: ajsaf@jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list