To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: Dan Maharry <dan@mcd.coop>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:37:21 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

At 18:21 +0200 4/5/07, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 03:31:27PM +0100,
>  Dan Maharry <dan@mcd.coop> wrote
>  a message of 60 lines which said:
>
>>  - the language code for the domain name
>
>No, IDN is about scripts, not about languages, so there is no reason
>to transmit the language.

I agree with Stephane.  I was about to reply the opposite way
yesterday but then I consulted our in-house expert on such matters.

E.g., If you are in Taiwan and write "east capital" in the local
written language you get two Han characters.  If you are in Japan and
write "east capital" in the local written language you get the same
exact looking pair of Kanji/Han characters.  Never mind that one is
Chinese and the other Japanese and thus differ when read aloud, they
mean the same thing and look the same on paper.

Now shift to the People's Republic of China.  You will get a
different first character but when read aloud get the same sound as
in Taiwan.  That's because the mainland has "simplified" (reduced the
strokes) of the Han for "east."

Let's shift to transliterating the Han to Latin characters.  You
might get at least two different and possibly three different strings
of Latin characters and marks corresponding to the same concept.
(BTW, "east capital" is most commonly known around the world as
Tokyo.)  E.g., "Middle mountain" is written as Zhongshan in the PRC
and Cheongshan in Taiwan.  I don't know "Middle" in Japanese romaji.

At this point my expert said - for IDN policies we stick to just what
are the equivalent looking characters.  The two native script forms
(the Taiwan/Japan and the PRC) are considered equivalent, but not
other semantic, homonyms, or transliterated forms.  IDN cares about
the look (the script) and not the language meaning.  I.e., if I
register "tokyo.biz" I do not consider "dongjing.biz" or
"dong1jing1.biz" or "$1$2.biz as variants - where the $1 and $2 are
the appropriate characters.  I don't get "activity.biz" (based on
dong4jing4 meaning (n)activity) either.  (To an untrained ear, the
tones of the Chinese language are lost making dong1jing1 sound like
dong4jing4.)

My new understanding is that EPP is already suitable for IDN.  I
realized this after my headache evaporated.

PS - My mail would be a lot clearer if my mail reader was capable of
more than just ASCII. ;)

NeuStar

Sarcasm doesn't scale.

Home | Date list | Subject list