To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:50:42 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 01:37:21PM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 18:21 +0200 4/5/07, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> >No, IDN is about scripts, not about languages, so there is no reason
> >to transmit the language.

> exact looking pair of Kanji/Han characters.  Never mind that one is
> Chinese and the other Japanese and thus differ when read aloud, they
> mean the same thing and look the same on paper.

This is actually, under the current ICANN guidelines, up to the
implementor:

        3. (a) In implementing the IDN standards, top-level domain
           registries will associate each label in a registered
           internationalized domain name, as it appears in their
           registry with a single script This restriction is intended
           to limit the set of permitted characters within a label. If
           greater specificity is needed, the association may be made
           by combining descriptors for both language and
           script. Alternatively, a label may be associated with a set
           of languages, or with more than one designator under the
           conditions described below.

(that's from http://www.icann.org/general/idn-guidelines-22feb06.htm)

So maybe we need both script and language.

<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: ajsaf@jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list