To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Cc: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>, Stephane Bortzmeyer<bortzmeyer@nic.fr>, Dan Maharry <dan@mcd.coop>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Yoshiro YONEYA <yone@jprs.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 20:35:57 +0900
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:41:46 -0700 Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com> wrote:

> At 1:37 PM -0400 4/5/07, Edward Lewis wrote:
> >At 18:21 +0200 4/5/07, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >>On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 03:31:27PM +0100,
> >> Dan Maharry <dan@mcd.coop> wrote

> >>No, IDN is about scripts, not about languages, so there is no reason
> >>to transmit the language.
>
> You know, this stuff is pretty hard.  There are several things just mildy
> wrong with the text below.  I'll try to correct them, but the key
> thing to remember is probably this:  for registrations within a domain,
> a policy needs to set out which code points may be registered,
> which may not be *at all*, and which code points will be considered
> equivalent (and so may not be registered independently of their
> equivalent brethren).    RFC 3743 is worthwhile reading for one
> set of registries take on this; their approach is conditioned by
> complexities that don't hit everyone, but is still worth trying
> to bend your brain around.

Language information is important not only for 'variants selection'
but also for avoiding unwanted DRP to occur.

If a Japanese registers "Tokyo" as "Japanese", then only traditional
form will be registered and simplified form will remain as available.
If no language information is provided, simplified form will be
registered simultaneously and the registrant may be sued from Chinese
who wants to register "Tokyo" in simplified form.  How can the
registrant prove that the IDN is not Chinese?

> >Let's shift to transliterating the Han to Latin characters.  You might get at least two different and possibly three different strings of Latin characters and marks corresponding to the same concept. (BTW, "east capital" is most commonly known around the world as Tokyo.)  E.g., "Middle mountain" is written as Zhongshan in the PRC and Cheongshan in Taiwan.  I don't know "Middle" in Japanese romaji.

"Middle" in Japanese romaji is "Naka" or "Chu".  Which is used depends
on context.  For "Middle mountain" case, "Nakayama" is usual Japanese
romaji, although it can represent as "Chusan".

--
Yoshiro YONEYA <yone@jprs.co.jp>

Home | Date list | Subject list