To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:18:16 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 02:25:08PM +0200,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote
 a message of 8 lines which said:

> In the case you mention (chinese characters), yes, but it is not a
> general rule.

Joe Abley kindly explained that I could have say it in a better
way. Here is a new attempt (and I suggest that a similar sentence be
included in the I-D if someone wants to revive an EPP extension for
IDN):

IDN deals with scripts, not with languages. Asking what is the
language of an IDN domain name is often irrelevant and sometimes
meaningless (many corporate trademarks are not words in any human
language, for instance).

In the vast majority of writing systems, knowledge of the language
being represented is not necessary.

The Chinese/Japanese case described in RFC 3743 is a prominent example
of where the language may be relevant.

Home | Date list | Subject list