To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: ed.lewis@neustar.biz
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:20:53 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

At 14:25 +0200 4/6/07, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 08:35:57PM +0900,
>  Yoshiro YONEYA <yone@jprs.co.jp> wrote
>  a message of 42 lines which said:
>
>>  Language information is important
>
>In the case you mention (chinese characters), yes, but it is not a
>general rule.

When something is "in the case you mention" but "it is not a general
rule" then as a protocol developer, the protocol MUST support it but
it's use/inclusion is OPTIONAL.  (The exception is that the new
feature CAN'T conflict with an established feature.)  The goal of the
protocol developer of EPP is to have a specification that is
universal even if policies are not.

The case I raised involved Chinese and Japanese only because I have
some but still elementary knowledge on that topic (as you can see
from the follow up messages filling in my knowledge gaps and gaffs).
Besides filling in what I don't know or got wrong, it would be good
to have any other language concerns raised - if there are any.  E.g.,
I hear rumors of Arabic languages having yet another concern
regarding representation in DNS.  Perhaps the issue (unknown to me)
is taken care of by including the same meta-data, perhaps not.

To help us focus, the goal here isn't to argue over IDN (which we
aren't doing) nor argue over policies (which we also aren't doing)
but to determine what extension to EPP is needed to suit our
collective needs.  While we are not a WG anymore, we are still about
the engineering and I at least find this discussion enlightening.

BTW, is someone eager to document an IDN extension?  I ask as I
believe there was already an offer or older proposal that is waiting
in the wings.

NeuStar

Sarcasm doesn't scale.

Home | Date list | Subject list