To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick Mevzek <provreg@contact.dotandco.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:50:16 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP to Draft: Next Steps

Hello,

Sorry not to have responded earlier.

Hollenbeck, Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com> 2005-09-13 19:02
> 1. I need to make a minor edit to the contact (3733bis) and host
> (3732bis) documents to fix one last <poll> use description.  I described
> that fix here [1].  I also need to add a sentence to 3730bis (EPP core)
> to note that it obsoletes 3730.  The references in 3731bis (domain) will
> need to be updated if 3732bis and 3733bis change.  These are the last
> needed document changes I'm aware of.

I think it would be good if these new versions got a 1.1 value in the
<version> tag during server greeting as opposed to 1.0 for the
current RFCs.

There are minor incompatibilites between the two (among which how to
fill <domain:update> in case of an extension), so it seems worthwile
to me to be able to clearly separates between the two, as some
servers will implement one version, and some will implement the
other.

> 2. There are a couple of ways we can create an interop report.  We can
> start with a template that we ask implementers to complete to describe
> their client and server implementation and test experiences.  We can
> also try to schedule a more-or-less "formal" interop event for people to
> test their clients with other participant's servers and vice-versa using
> an agreed-upon script.  This would require that participants set up
> accessible test rigs, but the end results would be more compelling.
>
> I'd prefer the latter, though I know it's more hands-on work.  What do
> other implementers think?

As I said previously [1], I'm willing to participate in any interop
effort by putting on the table an opensource RRP/EPP implementation
(which will, btw, in the next version, add 3 EPP extensions: E164,
SecDNS and Nsgroup).

I'm not sure to be able to travel to remote locations for IETF/ICANN
meetings, so if things can be taken mostly online, this would have my
preference. This would be my first IETF interoperability tests
participation, so count me as a newbie in this activity :-)

Patrick.

[1] http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2005-08/msg00039.html

--
Patrick Mevzek <pm@dotandco.com>