To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:58:27 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue

Jens,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 04:03:14PM +0200, Jens Wagner took time to write:
> What happens if you associate some .com domains with ns1.vianetworks.nl, and
> the hijacker renames that host to ns1.hijacked.cx in the .com Registry?

The Registrar handling a nameserver record should make sure to
receive authorization before updating it. In case of an gTLD
nameserver, he can get authorization from the contacts of the domain
(which is necessarily under its management), to change the name or
the IP. The change of name can be tricky, if the nameserver changes
domain, the authorization should be coming also from the new
contacts.

In case of ccTLDs, there is no IP, thus nothing to be changed.
In case of change of name, you must create the new record (with
whatever Registrar, since it's in a ccTLD), update your domains, and
delete the old one if necessary.

Thus the case you described can not happen I think.

Again, the Registry has no concept of host handles. When you register
a domain name you provide *names* of nameserver, not some kind of
handle. When a nameserver changes its name, you need to change each
domain name concerned. Of course this can be automated at the
Registrar level.

Regards,
Patrick.

Home | Date list | Subject list