To: Antoin Verschuren <averschuren@vianetworks.nl>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:51:43 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue (fwd)

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 04:33:13PM +0200, Antoin Verschuren took time to write:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>
> > What do you want to change that you can't change?  There are no IP addresses
> > associated with the hosts in the non-authoritative registry, so the only
> > thing that's changeable is the name of the host itself.  If that's what you
> > need to do, just register the new host name(s) yourself with your registrar
> > of choice and the hosts will be usable for your purposes.
>
> But then, our current host records are not changeable anymore to
> ns1.vianetworks.nl because this hostname allready excists at this
> registrar, but with another host handle. To be more precise, we want to

(BTW host handles are specific of a Registrar, since the Registry has
no concept of them)

> change:
>
> Host Handle: NS7389-HST
> Nameserver:  ns1.iae.nl
> IP number:   212.61.26.34
>
> into:
>
> Host Handle: NS7389-HST
> Nameserver:  ns1.vianetworks.nl
> IP number:   212.61.15.8
>
> So that all 4.000 domains currently using ns1.iae.nl (NS7389-HST) will use
> ns1.vianetworks.nl. If I try that, Verisign answers:
>
> > > Servers are registered with no IP at another registrar.  They must
> update
> > > the servers with an IP address before we can add them to our database.

Which is against Registry rules and common sense as explained here.

> If I try your solution, and then try to change NS7389-HST, I get the
> error:
> NS1.VIANETWORKS.NL Allready registrated.
> So in other words, no 2 host records with the same hostname can excist
> with Verisign, which ofcourse I think should be so.
>
> What I think is strange however, is that I can create a new host
> ns1.vianetworks.nl at Verisign, and then nobody tells me that this

Then there is a bug at Verisign Registrar.
Even more ns1.iae.nl should not be created with an IP in the first
place :
patrick@nohope:~/Gandi/Prog/Docs/IETF/EPP$ whois -h
whois.verisign-grs.net ns1.iae.nl

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be
registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to
http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: NS1.IAE.NL
   IP Address: 212.61.26.34