To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Antoin Verschuren <averschuren@vianetworks.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:33:13 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue (fwd)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> What do you want to change that you can't change?  There are no IP addresses
> associated with the hosts in the non-authoritative registry, so the only
> thing that's changeable is the name of the host itself.  If that's what you
> need to do, just register the new host name(s) yourself with your registrar
> of choice and the hosts will be usable for your purposes.

But then, our current host records are not changeable anymore to
ns1.vianetworks.nl because this hostname allready excists at this
registrar, but with another host handle. To be more precise, we want to
change:

Host Handle: NS7389-HST
Nameserver:  ns1.iae.nl
IP number:   212.61.26.34

into:

Host Handle: NS7389-HST
Nameserver:  ns1.vianetworks.nl
IP number:   212.61.15.8

So that all 4.000 domains currently using ns1.iae.nl (NS7389-HST) will use
ns1.vianetworks.nl. If I try that, Verisign answers:

> > Servers are registered with no IP at another registrar.  They must
update
> > the servers with an IP address before we can add them to our database.
> >
> > Sam
> >
> > Server Name: NS1.VIANETWORKS.NL
> >    Registrar: GANDI
> >    Whois Server: whois.gandi.net
> >    Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net
> >

> > Server Name: NS2.VIANETWORKS.NL
> >    Registrar: GANDI
> >    Whois Server: whois.gandi.net
> >    Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net

For these nameserver registrations, I'm probably not authorative with
Gandi according to the current registration practice. And even worse, I
don't even have a way of knowing who did registrate them.

If I try your solution, and then try to change NS7389-HST, I get the
error:
NS1.VIANETWORKS.NL Allready registrated.
So in other words, no 2 host records with the same hostname can excist
with Verisign, which ofcourse I think should be so.

What I think is strange however, is that I can create a new host
ns1.vianetworks.nl at Verisign, and then nobody tells me that this
hostname allready excist at Gandi, it is simply created, but if I want to
change my current host record into ns1.vianetworks.nl then this check with
other registrars is suddenly made..

Met groet,
VIA NET.WORKS Nederland

 Antoin Verschuren