To: Antoin Verschuren <averschuren@vianetworks.nl>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:35:51 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:35:13PM +0200, Antoin Verschuren took time to write:
> We are the owner of the domainname vianetworks.nl. The Dutch
> domainregistry holds the glue records for ns1.vianetworks.nl and
> ns2.vianetworks.nl which is correct.
> Now that we want to start using these nameservers for some 10.000
> domainnames with Verisign, there is a problem of registrating these hosts.
> As it seems, some other party has registered a domain with Gandi using
> these nameservers, but without IP addresses. At Gandi, we don't have any

And this is totally normal. IP address for your nameservers in
Verisign database are totally useless. The Registry gives strong
hints to Registrar not to register IP address of nameservers outside
of .com/.net/.org. This makes totally sense, and this is why Gandi
does it.

> authority to make changes to this registration. As result of this, we

And you do not need to make changes at all.

> cannot make the appropriate changes to these hosts to make them usable for
> our 10.000 domains. Our nameservers are simply hijacked by one person that
> uses our nameserver without our permission.

This is false.

> The point that I'm trying to make is that the owner of the nameserver
> should always be able to control his host records. If anyone can register

How the person who need to do it can gain authorization from the
owner of the nameserver ? And who is the owner of a nameserver ?
Where is this information stored ? Nowhere AFAIK.

> owner of the nameserver (and thus the domain where the nameserver resides)

You mean owner of nameserver = owner of the domain where the
nameserver resides then.
Ok, I can accept that. But my question remains : How the person who
need to do it can gain authorization from the owner of the nameserver
?
(in an automated way of course)

BTW folks, no need to Cc me in this thread, I'm subscribed to the
mailing-list, thanks.

Patrick.

Home | Date list | Subject list