To: Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@sidn.nl>
Cc: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>, Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:57:20 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue

At 4:52 PM +0200 8/17/01, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
>     A.XXX has name servers NS1.B.YY and NS2.B.YY.
>     B.YY has name servers NS1.A.XXX and NS2.A.XXX.
>This is a basic problem. People should not do things like that.  I
>have been told that modern versions of nameserver lately don't
>accept out of zone glue to prvent cache poisoning. So even if you
>put it in your zone file, things stll might not work with such a
>configuration.
>
>In the .nl registry for years we never allowed out of zone glue in
>the zonefile. We have only once seen that somebody shot his/her
>foot with a configuration like this.

This is a good point, and I wasn't intending to suggest that out of
zone glue was the solution.  The B.YY and A.XXX problem is probably
not solvable today, but the if both A and B are in .XXX, then the
extremely limited view of what sort of glue should exist that Klaus
has been advocating is probably too narrow.

Jordyn

Home | Date list | Subject list