To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:03:45 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:58:49PM +0200, Antoin Verschuren took time to write:
> We have some 30.000 domains in our nameservers. All these domains point to
> a host record at the registrar. So the host is only registered once.
> Now that we have renamed our nameservers, I also want to change all
> registrations. Because the host is a record, and should only be registered
> once, the solution is to change that host record, and ajust the hostname.
> Because the domains point to that host record (and not to the hostname)
> all domains can be changed with changing this one host record.

Things are not working like that at the (current) Registry level.
There is no host records associated with domain names. There are
names (of nameservers) associated with domain names.

If a nameserver names change, there is NO WAY other than updating
each domain ONE by ONE, which can be automated at the Registrar
level, I agree. But the Registry can not help.

> I could probaly solve this issue by registering our new hosts at verisign,
> and let them change all our domain records in their database. The point
> I'm trying to make however is that this should not be the way to solve
> this in the future with a new registry-registrar protocol, since the whole
> point of using host records is then gone. And offcourse, it has still not

Host handles exist with some Registrar, but not all. They are NOT
used by the Registry.

> deleted the host record with Gandi. I want this record to be deleted, or
> at least be responsible for it, and want to control this host record with
> a registrar of my choice.

It can not be deleted as long as some domains use these nameservers.
Which is the case.

Regards,
Patrick.

Home | Date list | Subject list