To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Antoin Verschuren <averschuren@vianetworks.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:58:49 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers -- actually, out-of-zone-glue

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Jens Wagner wrote:

> > What do you want to change that you can't change?  There are no IP addresses
> > associated with the hosts in the non-authoritative registry, so the only
> > thing that's changeable is the name of the host itself.  If that's what you
> > need to do, just register the new host name(s) yourself with your registrar
> > of choice and the hosts will be usable for your purposes.
> >
> > <Scott/>
>
> What happens if you associate some .com domains with ns1.vianetworks.nl, and
> the hijacker renames that host to ns1.hijacked.cx in the .com Registry?

I cannot test that, since I don't know the hijacker, and I'm not in the
position to change the hijackers host records. That's my whole problem.
The real problem is offcourse that anyone can register any nameserver with
any registrar, without anyone checking who is the real responsible person
for that nameserver. Therefor my proposition to always let the domain
holder be responsible for all nameservers under that domain.

I think some of you are missing the point of wanting host records in the
first place. It's not only the glue record that is an issue here.

We have some 30.000 domains in our nameservers. All these domains point to
a host record at the registrar. So the host is only registered once.
Now that we have renamed our nameservers, I also want to change all
registrations. Because the host is a record, and should only be registered
once, the solution is to change that host record, and ajust the hostname.
Because the domains point to that host record (and not to the hostname)
all domains can be changed with changing this one host record.

Registering our new hostname as a new host, that is a new host record,
would mean that I would then have to change 30.000 domains manualy, one by
one, and point all of them (hoping not to miss one domain) to this new
host record. This is because each registrar only allows one host record
per hostname, so if ns1.vianetworks.nl would be registered at Verisign, I
would have no possibility anymore to change the host NS7389-HST from
ns1.iae.nl into ns1.vianetworks.nl. Verisign will say: I'm sorry, but we
allready have a host record for ns1.vianetworks.nl.

I could probaly solve this issue by registering our new hosts at verisign,
and let them change all our domain records in their database. The point
I'm trying to make however is that this should not be the way to solve
this in the future with a new registry-registrar protocol, since the whole
point of using host records is then gone. And offcourse, it has still not
deleted the host record with Gandi. I want this record to be deleted, or
at least be responsible for it, and want to control this host record with
a registrar of my choice.

Met groet,
VIA NET.WORKS Nederland

 Antoin Verschuren