To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Edward Lewis'" <lewis@tislabs.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@sidn.nl>
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:32:43 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Push vs. not Push

I really hate it when I have to agree with someone from NSI...

but this is one of those times.

Just as there is a concern about imposing extra complexity on registration
participants who have a light load, there needs to be concern about
imposing inefficiencies on participants who have a heavy load.

Pursuing a core specification which is simpler, with optional extensions
that provide more power, is the classic -- and exactly appropriate --
solution to this sort of debate.

d/

At 12:07 PM 8/23/2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> >From a gTLD registry operator perspective...
>
>We should have a set of MUST implement basic functions, including a function
>for exchange of operational notices.  I would prefer a polling mechanism in
>the set of MUSTs.  I would also like to suggest that it may be possible to
>define an optional push extension that may or may not be
>transport-dependent.
>
><Scott/>

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list