To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: lewis@tislabs.com
From: Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@neustar.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:33:48 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Push vs. not Push

>After going through the email and minutes, I think that there is a need to
>poll the list to see if folks want the "push" mechanism to be defined or
>not.  As far as the merits of such a mechanism, please refrain from
>commenting on that, as it appears in archived messages.  My sense is that
>we aren't arguing the merits of push, but rather, whether implementors
>would be willing to add this feature in response to user (registr*) needs.

In the interest of trying to create a complete protocol there no good
reason not to include push mechanisms... I would like to remind the list
that the protocols being developed here may have uses outside TLD's in the
future and arbitrary attempts to restrict its functionality purely to
satisfy the limited requirements of that interest group is "a bad thing" tm.

And I say that as the co-Chair of the ENUM working group....and Scott
Hollenbeck has recently posted a most interesting draft on the subject.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-00.txt

>In your response, let me know which registr*'s you are speaking for, so
>that we can determine if there is a pattern to differing opinions (e.g.,
>gTLDs vs. ccTLDs).  If you feel that you don't want to disclose this
>publicly, please send the message to just "jaap@sidn.nl, lewis@tislabs.com"
>- ie the chairs.  If you do this, it might be a good idea to send a public
>version of your message to the list so others know how you feel on the
>issue.

and yes I'm have a TLD interest here ... .BIZ

>In either case, we (the chairs) will put a sanitized summary out on the
>list is short order.
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
>Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com
>
>You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.
>
>Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice 571.434.5651 Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: rshockey@ix.netcom.com> or
<mailto: rich.shockey@neustar.com>
<http://www.neustar.com>
<http://www.enum.org>