To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:16:35 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers

At 2:38 PM +0200 8/27/01, Klaus Malorny wrote:
>This doesn't make sense, of course. But it's not what I wanted and what I
>tried to explain. Anybody should be able to specify any domain name server for
>his domain. No more, no less. Without any limitation. The effective control of
>access is done on the "physical" level only and not on the "administrative"
>level. It's just not the registry's responsiblity to take care of it. As the
>registry does not control the name servers - it cannot influence them in any
>way - it is absolute senseless to build a mechanism into the registry that
>allows or disallows the use of a name server. A name server is only usable for
>a different person if the owner of the name server grants the other person to
>host his zone on that name server by giving him physical access to that
>machine somehow, directly or indirectly. If he denies this, there is no way
>for the other person to use that name server. I.e. the owner has full control
>over his name server, he can determine by his own means who uses his name
>server and who not. Therefore, again, any registry level mechanism is
>superfluous and complicates things more than required.

This assumes that lame delegations are not bad.  (Yes, I know that we
can't *prevent* lame delegations, but ensuring that the owner of a
name server agrees to the delegation makes them a whole lot less
likely.)

Theoretically, it could even be possible to formulate a denial of
service attack on a name server if you pointed some popular domain
names (such as yahoo.com) at a poor, innocent and unsuspecting name
server.

>  >
>  > Under your scheme, neither of these domains will work.  For that
>>  matter, under your scheme, even if A and B were both in domain XXX,
>>  they would not work.  A modified version of your scheme could fix the
>>  problem by checking for such situations within a single registry, but
>>  is utterly unresolvable if the domains are in different registries.
>
>Yes, I don't dispute this. But first, I think circular references are quite
>uncommon. Second, as I said in earlier mails, I believe that it will become
>quite common that name servers are registered at different registries and that
>this little advantage will disappear.

I agree that this is not a common problem, but there's a fairly easy
solution at least in the same zone.  I think this is actually
becoming another issue of registry policy--registries should be able
to decide what amount of glue they want to publish.  There are
reasonable arguments on both sides of this debate, and no fool-proof
solution has been presented that solves all of the issues raised.

Jordyn

Home | Date list | Subject list