To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
CC: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:38:56 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers

"Jordyn A. Buchanan" wrote:

> Hi Klaus:
>
> I'll try to keep this short.  These messages are becoming a bit too
> long to digest easily.

Hi Jordyn,

sorry for answering so late, but I am currently really busy in creating
software for .info/.biz and since it costs me a lot of time to formulate in
more or less understandable English, I delayed this. I'll try to keep this
short, too, esp. as I don't want to repeat myself one more time.

> Your proposal is to allow any registrar to create name server objects
> for any domain.  Explaining to me what useful functionality this
> achieved vs. the EPP model, you indicated:
>
> >1. Other registrars are not able to create name servers in that domain
> >
> >2. The sponsoring registrar does not have full control over his own
> >    name servers, i.e. anyone can reference his name server and block
> >    the deletion of the name server and also the domain the
> >    name server belongs to.
>
> There is tension between these two benefits.  You want a sponsoring
> registrar to be able to prevent the *use* of a name server within a
> domain that they sponsor, but not the *creation* of a name server in
> the same domain.  This doesn't make sense.

This doesn't make sense, of course. But it's not what I wanted and what I
tried to explain. Anybody should be able to specify any domain name server for
his domain. No more, no less. Without any limitation. The effective control of
access is done on the "physical" level only and not on the "administrative"
level. It's just not the registry's responsiblity to take care of it. As the
registry does not control the name servers - it cannot influence them in any
way - it is absolute senseless to build a mechanism into the registry that
allows or disallows the use of a name server. A name server is only usable for
a different person if the owner of the name server grants the other person to
host his zone on that name server by giving him physical access to that
machine somehow, directly or indirectly. If he denies this, there is no way
for the other person to use that name server. I.e. the owner has full control
over his name server, he can determine by his own means who uses his name
server and who not. Therefore, again, any registry level mechanism is
superfluous and complicates things more than required.

> Most of the message in which you wrote this explains why glue records
> are only needed for name servers that are authoritative for their own
> domains, an argument that I'll admit I'm coming around to.  However,
> an argument against this approach that has been raised in the past is
> that it is possible to create a situation in which two (or more
> domains) use name servers in the other domain(s), so that none of
> them end up having glue or being useful.  For example:
>
> A.XXX has name servers NS1.B.YY and NS2.B.YY.
> B.YY has name servers NS1.A.XXX and NS2.A.XXX.
>
> Under your scheme, neither of these domains will work.  For that
> matter, under your scheme, even if A and B were both in domain XXX,
> they would not work.  A modified version of your scheme could fix the
> problem by checking for such situations within a single registry, but
> is utterly unresolvable if the domains are in different registries.

Yes, I don't dispute this. But first, I think circular references are quite
uncommon. Second, as I said in earlier mails, I believe that it will become
quite common that name servers are registered at different registries and that
this little advantage will disappear.

> Klaus, I think many of your arguments are reasonable and well thought
> out.  I happen to agree with some of them, but I don't think that you
> are stupid or naive as a result of our disagreement.

Thanks ;-)

> I hope that you
> can accord the rest of us the same respect.

of course.

> Jordyn

regards,

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list