To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:45:23 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: host transfers

Dear all,

Sorry to be late and sorry if I am a little heavy(?) with what
follows, I just want to be sure to understand everything.

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:17:24AM +0200, Klaus Malorny took time to write:
> Registrant R goes to registrar A and registers a.com with ns1.a.com and
> ns2.a.com. Some time later. Now, registrar B has a good offer, and R wants to
> register a domain with him, lets say b.com with ns.b.com and ns3.a.com.
> "Sorry, we can't do that, you can't use ns3.a.com" - "Why, a.com is my
> domain?" ... and so on...

Ok, this is true. But see above, I think your proposal does create
the same problem :
client goes to registrar B to make changes in IP and it does not see
they are used at all (since it should have gone through A).

> Situation:
> ----------
>
> Two registrars: R1, R2
>
> R1:
>   A.com, using ns1.A.com, ns2.A.com
>     ns1.A.com, 1.1.1.1
>     ns2.A.com, 2.2.2.2
>     ns3.A.com, 3.3.3.3
> R2:
>   B.com, using ns1.B.com, ns3.A.com
>     ns1.B.com, 4.4.4.4

[..]

> my model:
> ---------
>
> situation #1: R2 shares ns3.A.com with R1
>
> registry objects:
>
> domain       A.com, N1, N2 (R1)
> name server  N1: ns1.A.com, 1.1.1.1 (R1)
> name server  N2: ns2.A.com, 2.2.2.2 (R1)
> name server  N3: ns3.A.com, 3.3.3.3 (R1)
>
> domain       B.com, N4, N3 (R2)
> name server  N4: ns1.B.com, 4.4.4.4 (R2)
>
> zone file:
>
> A.com.       NS         ns1.A.com.
> A.com.       NS         ns2.A.com.
> ns1.A.com.   A          1.1.1.1
> ns2.A.com.   A          2.2.2.2
> B.com.       NS         ns1.B.com.
> B.com.       NS         ns3.A.com.
> ns1.B.com.   A          4.4.4.4
>
> note that no A record exists for ns3.A.com.

Why don't you have glue record for ns3.A.com ??
I do not understand.
ns1.A.com / ns2.A.com / ns3.A.com are 3 nameservers, and they should
be treated in the same way.

Do you mean that the glue record is not needed since IP address of
ns3.A.com is in ns{1,2}.A.com authoritatives for A.com ?
If yes, I do not think it is a good idea to have one setup for the
first two nameservers, and another for the others.

> situation #2: R2 has an own object for ns3.A.com
>
> domain       A.com, N1, N2 (R1)
> name server  N1: ns1.A.com, 1.1.1.1 (R1)
> name server  N2: ns2.A.com, 2.2.2.2 (R1)
> name server  N3: ns3.A.com, 3.3.3.3 (R1)
>
> domain       B.com, N4, N5 (R2)
> name server  N4: ns1.B.com, 4.4.4.4 (R2)
> name server  N5: ns3.A.com (R2)
>
> zone file:
>
> exactly the same as above, even if R2 specifies an (arbitrary) IP address for
> N5.

And then there is the problem outlined above :
when the client will want to change IP address of ns3.a.com if he
goes through registrar B, it will be possible, but will have not
useful use. Whatever IP the client will try to put, it will NOT be
reflected in the zone file, since to do that he should go through
Registrar A.
Of course it can just be written/explained to the client that he
needs to go through Registrar A. But people make assumptions, and if
the client sees it possible to change IP through B, he will try, and
will not understand why it does not work at all.

In fact, with your proposal, even IP address of ns3.A.com through
Registrar A has no meaning since it is not included in zone file,
thus the problem outlined just below do not exist. But still I do not
understand/think it is a good idea that ns3.A.com is not in the zone
file.

But do your model with another example : Registrar B for B.com uses
ns2.A.com and not ns3.A.com
How do you will handle it ? The problem outlined above then exists :
Registrar A chooses IP address of ns2.A.com
If you try to change it through Registrar B (which have also a record
for ns2.A.com), the change will not appear in zone file.

> situation #3: R2 has an own object for ns3.A.com, R1 not
>

> domain       A.com, N1, N2 (R1)
> name server  N1: ns1.A.com, 1.1.1.1 (R1)
> name server  N2: ns2.A.com, 2.2.2.2 (R1)
>
> domain       B.com, N4, N5 (R2)
> name server  N4: ns1.B.com, 4.4.4.4 (R2)
> name server  N5: ns3.A.com (R2)
>
> zone file:
>
> exactly the same as above, even if R2 specifies an (arbitrary) IP address for
> N5.

In that case, please also take into account another (current)
problem.
Right now, for example if you want to destroy domain A.com you can
not until there are no more nameservers child of this domain used
anywhere else.
In your model, will Registrar A be able to delete A.com if he wants,
since Registrar B has created ns3.A.com and I think that Registrar A
has no way to know that ?
If no, then it is a big problem.

Regards,
Patrick Mevzek.