To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:07:11 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:22:57PM -0600, Ted Lemon wrote:

> This has nothing to do with what we are talking about right now, except
> that DHCPv6 and DHCPv6-lite share the same transport.   I've heard you
> repeat several times that the stateless bit in the router advertisement
> can be used to say which mechanism to use, but that is completely
> wrong, because in using this bit in the way you propose, we would be
> making two changes to the behavior of the client, not one - it could,
> as you say, use DHCPv6 to get its DNS address, but it would also be
> required to use DHCPv6 to get its IP address.   We are specifically

Ted, I don't understand here, it seems to me from the spec that (in p.18
of RFC2461, and in the usage text in RFC2462) that the M and O bits
are independent;  i.e. a statelessly autoconfiguring host could get DNS
info from DHCPv6 with M=0 and O=1.     With M=0 and O=0 one would
then assume that an RA-based method could be used, and not clash with any
DHCPv6...?   Could you clarify what I'm missing?

> trying to avoid placing any such requirement on a network - stateless
> addrconf has to be orthogonal to how the DNS server address is
> obtained, because the two things are completely unrelated.

I guess not everyone agrees with that :)

Tim