To: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:58:39 -0600
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS discovery

On 12-nov-03, at 11:14, Alain Durand wrote:

>>> My proposal is to adopt both RA-approach and DHCP-lite
>>> as in the case of Prefix Delegation.
>>> Could those who insist only on DHCP-lite hum for the coexistence of
>>> these two mechanisms?

>> 	if you propose coexistence you need to provide details on how to
>> 	use those two, like:
>> 	- try A then B
>> 	- try A if condition X, try B if condition !X
>> 	- whatever
>> 	otherwise implementors will get highly confused.

Reading RFC 2462 will clear that confusion right up. There is an
explicit bit in router advertisements that tells hosts whether they
should use a stateful mechanism (sorry, this is what it's called,
replace with "DHCPv6lite" in the next version) to discover additional
configuration information. If this bit is set then the only reason for
the existence of DNS RA options would be for the benefit of hosts that
don't implement DHCP, so it would make sense for hosts that do
implement DHCP to ignore the option in this case.

Another approach would be to simply take all the DNS addresses that can
be found and validate this list by doing a test query or use RTT
measurements to select the best one.

(I have a box with a long since forgotten implementation of IP(v4) +
PPP that allows the use of DHCP to gather additional configuration
information. This implementation also allows DNS servers to be probed
before they are installed in the list of resolvers. All of this works
very well.)

> And so will network admin that will now have potentially two places to
> look after to maintain the correct information. This is bad.

This is exactly why requiring the use of some form of DHCP by making
this the only way DNS addresses can be found is a bad idea. Hosts are
already required to implement Stateless Autoconfiguration (again, I
didn't come up with the name) so in this case there are two things that
can go wrong: RAs and DHCP. If DNS discovery is integrated in RA we
have fate sharing.