To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:10:18 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

> Yea, but even if there is a framework with multiple levels of trust, a
> company that implements only "causual" trust can still claim to be
> "secure".  Heck, companies claim to be secure when they use rot13.  I
> don't think you can stop that from happening.

no, but what we hope they will say is that they implement
"IETF secure keydist" and that customers will make that a check-off item.

if we define "IETF secure keydist" in such a way that it is for casual
use only, that's the best we'll get from those vendors.

if we define "IETF secure keydist" in such a way that it can be used for
more demanding purposes, we can probably get something which is suitable
for more than casual use, as long as it's well-defined and implementable
with reasonable effort.

of course, there's a limit to what we can get.  for instance, we can't
do much to ensure quality of implementation, nor to ensure the security
of the underlying platforms.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list