To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:06:38 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

> I must admit my knowledge of NAPTR isn't very good, so if you need to
> make 'A' querries after you receive your NAPTR response, then I
> suppose you could obtain the key's that way.  So long as NAPTR is
> signed by DNSSec (and the A and key records are too), then you've got
> the equivalent of a secure referral in two or three round-trips
> instead of one.

you need to make both SRV and A (or AAAA) queries after NAPTR.
(or they can be returned as additional information). and you
might have multiple levels of NAPTR record before you get
referred to an SRV.

> > > Why should you trust the information you get from e.g. www.mit.edu?
> >
> > since I don't currently use that information for anything critical
> > or sensitive, I don't currently need to trust it.
>
> True, but that wasn't the point.  replace "mit.edu" with some site
> that you _do_ use for information retreival.  What about
> "www.cnn.com", for example?

I *assume* that everything cnn.com says is bogus.  :)

Offhand, I can't think of an information source on the net that I trust
to any significant degree, at least, not without some external support.

(Best example I can think of - before I bought my airplane I trusted
aopa.org to give me an estimate of its value.  But I also compared that
estimate with prices for similar aircraft listed in a couple of print
publications.  In retrospect, I probably placed too much trust in aopa's
estimation service. But at least I had validation of the high-order bits.)

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list