To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 19:13:47 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> writes:

> you need to make both SRV and A (or AAAA) queries after NAPTR.
> (or they can be returned as additional information). and you
> might have multiple levels of NAPTR record before you get
> referred to an SRV.

Ok, then we do the multi-stage referral, and hope all stages are
signed. ;)

> > > since I don't currently use that information for anything critical
> > > or sensitive, I don't currently need to trust it.
> >
> > True, but that wasn't the point.  replace "mit.edu" with some site
> > that you _do_ use for information retreival.  What about
> > "www.cnn.com", for example?
>
> I *assume* that everything cnn.com says is bogus.  :)

LOL.  Fair enough.

> Offhand, I can't think of an information source on the net that I trust
> to any significant degree, at least, not without some external support.

Perhaps you are more savvy than the average Internet user.  In fact, I
would say that MOST people here are more savvy than the average
Internet user.

> (Best example I can think of - before I bought my airplane I trusted
> aopa.org to give me an estimate of its value.  But I also compared that
> estimate with prices for similar aircraft listed in a couple of print
> publications.  In retrospect, I probably placed too much trust in aopa's
> estimation service. But at least I had validation of the high-order bits.)

*snicker* -- remember checking about 5 or six different sources
myself.