To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
CC: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:15:18 -0500
Delivery-Date: Fri Jan 4 21:17:18 2002
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com> writes:
> > Fine. Can we settle the matter of keys vs. certs first? Edward
> > sent out a good list of FOR and AGAINST earlier in the week.
>
> I dont think we can.  There are some applications that use only keys,
> and there are some that use only certs.  Those applications are very
> happy using what they are using.  Why add complexity if it doesn't buy
> them anything?  All that will happen is that those application wont
> use our solution.

There are benefits to using certs instead of just keys. One is
the more flexible trust model.

I guess you're saying that this list should drop discussion of
certs because some applications are happy using keys. Which
applications are you talking about? And how do you know that
they don't want to consider using certs?

-Steve

Home | Date list | Subject list